The Carterville Christian Church was organized in 1887, and the first part of the original church was constructed in 1889. This building was enlarged in 1907 and then replaced about 1975.
The Carterville Christian Church constructed a new building on Gravel Road, east of Carterville and held their first service there in 2004.
July 26, 1959, Joplin Globe
The recently completed new Carterville Christian church, at Hall and Tennessee streets, will be dedicated at 2 o’clock Sunday afternoon, July 26. The pastor, the Rev. Don DeWelt, invites the public to attend the services and make a tour of the building.
The new building cost $35,000, exclusive of the lot on which it is located, bringing the entire church structure, including the old building, to a valuation of $65,000.
Featuring a beautiful auditorium, the new brick-faced edifice seats 360 persons. Oak finish was used throughout the building, and three colors of cork type asphalt fill were used on the floors.
Laminated oak pews, brought from Harrison, Ark., were installed, as well as a new oak pulpit.
There are five classrooms in the new church. Of special interest is a the open baptistry, with a large cross behind it.
The cross is to be lighted at night and during baptismal services.
Plans have been drawn for a new wing to later replace the old church building, which has been in use for many years.