Sacred Heart Catholic Church purchased this building from First Presbyterian Church in 1903 for $1,500. Following the purchase of the building an additional 25 feet was added to the structure and a parish house, north of the church, was purchased. First Christian Church purchased the building, at Third and Webb streets, in 1941.
Ownership of three church buildings was swapped in 1941
The two Methodist churches merging in 1940 led to the changes
In 1941, the Sacred Heart Catholic Church purchased the First Methodist Church building and parsonage located at the corner of Second and Oronogo streets.
The First Christian Church in turn purchased Sacred Heart’s and parish house, located at Third and Webb streets.
First Methodist Church and Central Methodist Church merged on May 22, 1940, so the Methodists no longer needed the building at Second and Oronogo streets.
The First Methodist Church building was constructed in 1911 at a cost of approximately $40,000. It was sold to the Sacred Heart Catholic Church in 1941 for $10,000. Sacred Heart held services there until 1982, when the current building was constructed on North Madison Street.
For the latest information about the Webb City Area Genealogical Society, visit its Facebook page.
Everything you want to know about Jasper County Missouri Schools is available at a site compiled by Webb City Area Genealogical Society member Kathy Sidenstricker.