Eugene Field is a National Blue Ribbon School
Award to be presented in Washington, D.C. in November
It was announced Friday, Sept. 16, that Eugene Field Elementary School has been selected as a National Blue Ribbon School.
“Occasionally it’s great to hear good news,” says principal Dusty Allen, who went to the Central Office Friday morning in anticipation of a group email listing the chosen schools.
It wasn’t a complete surprise because Eugene Field was nominated in April for being named a Missouri Gold Star School.
Gold Star status was based on the academic achievement of Eugene Field students on the 2021 state test. To become a Blue Ribbon School, Allen said the spring 2022 test scores had to be consistent with those of 2021.
More than just Eugene Field, Allen says the national honor is something the school district, teachers, staff and community can take pride in.
Allen and a contingent representing Eugene Field and the district will fly to Washington, D.C. in November to receive the Blue Ribbon School award from the U.S. Department of Education.
The contingent includes three Eugene Field teachers, Sarah Combs, Casey Darnell and Mary Palmer.
Six other Missouri Gold Star Schools will also receive Blue Ribbon status:
- Blair Oaks Elementary School, Blair Oaks R-II School District
- Chapel Lakes Elementary School, Blue Springs R-IV School District
- Dewey Elementary School, Chillicothe R-II School District
- Eugene Field Elementary School, Webb City R-VII School District
- Kirkwood Senior High School, Kirkwood R-VII School District
- Nixa High School, Nixa Public Schools