The new Home Telephone building in 1921.
Southwestern Bell later took over the business.
In 1906, the Home Telephone Company purchased Lot No. 10 in the new Ryns & Jennings addition to Webb City for the purpose of erecting a new building. The lot, on Broadway (Joplin Street then) facing south, is the first one west of the alley.
Plans were made to build a two-story stone or brick building. Our 1921 photograph shows that the builder decided on brick with stone trim.
This building and its operators continued to serve the community as a telephone exchange for many years. It is now the home of the Webb City Police Department.
Home Telephone Co. was originally on the second floor of a building on Main Street. The back of the photo below reads: “Upstairs over 15 South Main, Home Telephone Company, Webb City, Mo. Dolph Emmerson (Carterville), Janie Paxton, Grova Harrison, Stella Bowen.”
This Home Telephone ad listing the number of subscribers it had in area towns was in the Aug. 5, 1905, Webb City Register.