The 1891 Sanborn map shows a D.G. (dry goods) store at 33 S. Allen St., adjacent to City Hall and across the street from the Newland Hotel.
The Webb City Area Genealogical Society recently acquired some photographs from the descendants of the Humphreys family, which owned the Humphreys Dry Goods store.
The early-day department store was initially located at 33 S. Allen (Main) St.
Henry C. Humphreys opened the store in December of 1889. He operated at this location until 1894 or 1895 and then moved into the Hatten & Raymond Building, located at the northeast corner of Allen (Main) and Daugherty streets. The current landmark on that corner is the Bradbury Bishop Deli.
Looking inside Humphreys Dry Goods.