An interior photo of the Jesse Milling Co.  (Historic photos courtesy of the Harry Hood Collection at Missouri Southern State University)

Old News

From the 3rd floor of the Webb City Public Library

Jesse Milling, near Neck City, processed tailings from area mines for remaining amounts of ore

In the Jesse Milling Co. sludge room, Wilfley tables were used to separate heavy minerals from lighter ones. The first tables of this type were built in 1895 by A. R. Wilfley for use in his mill in Kokomo, Colo.

Wilfley tables are still used in the mining industry today and look very similar to the ones shown in this photograph.

Webb City Area Genealogical Society

The Jesse Milling Co. was located on the Reliance mining land southeast of Neck City between Grand Avenue and County Road 210. 

The site, southeast of Neck City, has been reclaimed since the picture above was taken in 2014.

The milling company was in operation as early as 1910 and processed tailings (waste material) from area mines. A newspaper article from that time stated that the Jesse Milling Co. was handling tailings from the old Express Mine in Alba and also had in reserve the old tailing pile from the Julius S. Mine.

The tailings were being reprocessed in hopes of recovering more ore from the waste. At the time, the tailings were showing 2 1/2 percent ore and the company predicted recovering 3.8 percent in the future.

The primary shareholders of the Jesse Milling Co. were Luther and Elizabeth McGehee, of Joplin, and Charles W. Jesse, of Purcell.

In 1914, old mining tracks in the Neck City area were reopened as they still held rich deposits of lead and zinc and by 1918 the Tri-City mining area was doing well, with the largest producer being the Sponable Mining Co., of Alba. The Jesse Milling Co. operated quite extensively most of that year, continuing to mill the tailings from the old workings.

There were numerous mines in the Neck City area with colorful names such as the Rubber Neck Mine, Clear Jack Mine, Neck City Group, Good Shepard Mine, Little Elm Mine, Big Kate Mine, Quick Seven Mine, Catherine C. Mine, Chapman Long Acre Mine, Century Lead Mine, Lucky Tiger, 1909 Mine and the Black Hawk Mine, just to name a few.

 

The Jesse Tailing Mill

 

Sentinel bound volumes are now in the Genealogy Room

The WCAGS has accepted ownership of the complete collection of bound volumes of the Webb City Sentinel, from 1983 (after the fire) until the final issue on Dec. 30, 2020.

Those issues can also be viewed on microfilm, along with much older issues.

Webb City Area Genealogical Society

WCAGS members staff the Genealogy Room on the third floor of the Webb City Public Library. Current hours are noon to 4 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. Meetings are held at 6 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month in the Geadalogy Room.

Everything you want to know about Jasper County Missouri Schools is available at a site compiled by Webb City Area Genealogical Society member Kathy Sidenstricker.

Scroll to Top
X