FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY PICNIC
All who are interested in the purpose and activities of the Friends of the Library organization are invited to attend a free picnic at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 14, in the pavilion area near the splash pad in King Jack Park.
The Friends support the Webb City Public Library.
BRUCKBECK BROTHERS AT THIRD THURSDAY
Downtown Joplin Alliance welcomes the community for June’s Third Thursday.
This month’s sponsor, Pro Musica, presents presents a live jazz concert by the Brubeck Brothers Quartet from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Sixth and Main streets.
The Brubeck Brothers, last in Joplin in 2018, are always an audience favorite with their dynamic music and engaging performance. No reservations are required. This is a bring your own chair performance!
Also, the annual You Belong Celebration will be held to acknowledge the hard work done to be a welcoming city. It will include a solidarity walk at 6 p.m., when Mayor Stanley, City Council members, the business community, faith leaders, and other Joplin neighbors as they depart from City Hall and walk to Third and Main streets. There will be a long community table in the food truck area.
- Free pop up COVID vaccine clinic in front of City Hall
- Over 20 food trucks
- Vintage car cruise on the 200 block
- Artisan market on the 500 block
CAREGIVER SUPPORT EDUCATIONAL MEETING
The Freeman Health System Caregiver Support Group will host guest speakers from Legal Aid and Home Instead at its Thursday, June 17, meeting.
Jeffiner Thompson, project director and attorney with Legal Aid of Western Missouri, will discuss guardianship, power of attorney, healthcare directives and beneficiary deeds, as well as federal rights to medicare, social security and more.
Laura Land, of Home Instead Senior Care, will discuss how to help a loved one with personal hygiene along with discussion of equipment that can assist in caring for an individual.
Facilitated by Freeman’s Jennifer Berry, the support group meets from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at Freeman East conference rooms. Physical distancing and wearing masks will be practiced.
RSVP to Kathy Mason at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (417) 347-8463.
JOMO JAMMIN’ IN JULY PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE
Connect2Culture recently announced the final lineup for JOMO Jammin’ In July, a new, free series that celebrates local talent as well as the return of live performances. Held at Joplin’s Mercy Park (28th Street and South Picher Avenue), the series will feature eight locally based musical groups over four consecutive Saturday evenings.
Saturday, July 10th | Blues, Folk, Jazz
- Lem Sheppard (7– 7:45 p.m.): When Lemuel “Lem” Sheppard performs, audiences not only hear traditional music from the past but the stories and history these treasured songs carry. A versatile artist, Lem’s unique ability to weave history, storytelling, and folklore into each performance has made him a fan favorite among festivals for more than 20 years. In his hands, folk classics, like The Crawdad Song, and blues hits have the ability to move crowds of any age to their feet.
- Jomo Jazz (8 – 8:45 p.m.): Jomo Jazz, the four state’s leading jazz instrumental group, has been entertaining audiences since 2013. Comprised of Levi Randolph, Kyle Babbitt, Matt Holland, Matt Clark, and Tyler Graves, each member’s unique sound and energy combines to provide a catalyst for the band’s explosive performances. From soulful originals to Big Band era classics, Jomo Jazz can perform a variety of songs to keep audiences entertained for hours!
Saturday, July 17th | Indie Rock
- Fox Royale (7– 7:45 p.m.): Fox Royale makes anthemic, jangly indie rock that sparkles with the same energy as acts like Cage the Elephant and Vampire Weekend. Before they were in a rock band, the members of Fox Royale were in a traveling orchestra. The band was born when high school friends Nathan Hurley, Davis Drake, and Evan Todd along with Nathan’s younger brother, Caleb, began jamming in their parents’ homes. Eventually, they thought “Hey, let’s try a little harder at this.” The band then began touring extensively for three years and eventually earned a stage in front of War Road music management, who gave them their first record deal. Fox Royale has since put out two singles with another on the way.
- Me Like Bees (8 – 8:45 p.m.): Me Like Bees is an indie rock band from Joplin, Missouri. In 2013, the band emerged on the music scene with the release of their first full-length album, The Ides, and their performance in the Ernie Ball Music Man Battle of the Bands. After surpassing 20,000 opposing bands and winning the final round of the competition in 2014, Me Like Bees rose to further prominence. Having toured with Never Shout Never and released award-winning albums and singles, they are recognized as some of Joplin’s most successful musicians. Come see for yourself how Me Like Bees has captured the admiration of fans across the nation!
Saturday, July 24th | Gospel, Soul, Classic Country
- The Community Choir (7 – 7:45p.m.): Made up of singers from both Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church and Unity Missionary Baptist Church, The Community Choir sings gospel music brimming with infectious joy and enthusiasm. Each member brings their individual voice, fusing their talents with the group to create exuberant, upbeat performances that are sure to inspire.
- Mike Greenstreet Band (8 – 8:45p.m.): Mike Greenstreet has been performing his special brand of gospel-country music since 2012 and is widely known for inspiring First Sunday Singing, a well-attended monthly gospel event held at Forest Park Church. Mike’s newest band is ready to take the stage and share their classic country tunes! In addition to Mike, the band consists of: Doug Cole (bass), Rick Bevenue (drums), Bob Durham (piano), Mike McGee (steel guitar), Johnny Rose (lead guitar), Jon Harden (fiddle), and Gayle O’Neal (backup vocals).
Saturday, July 31st | Bluegrass
- ROUTE 3 (7 – 7:45p.m.): ROUTE 3 is a bluegrass band based out of southwest Missouri and northwest Arkansas. With a traditional sound, original compositions, and great instrumentation, they bring a hard-driving bluegrass style to every performance. Members Jason Jordan (guitar), Doug Clifton (bass), Gaylon Harper (banjo), and Roy Bond (mandolin) create a distinctive and passionate sound that earned them the title of 2020 Arkansas Country Music Awards’ Bluegrass Artist of the Year.
- Borderline Bluegrass (8 – 8:45p.m.): Tight three-part harmonies, hot pickin’, and a high energy stage show. These are the hallmarks of Borderline Bluegrass. Based in southwest Missouri, this four-piece bluegrass band has been entertaining audiences across the country for the last seven years. From an early age Julie Harden (bass), Ty Dawson (guitar), Daniel Shilling (banjo), and Jon Harden (fiddle) all played music in family bands, at music halls, festivals, and hootenannies. Their musical influences are diverse – country, gospel, jazz, rock, and of course, hard-driving bluegrass – but have all come together to create the sound of Borderline Bluegrass. From regional festivals to their debut at the world-famous Station Inn in Nashville, TN, the band is continuously gaining momentum and building their ever-growing fan base – and you’re invited to join the fun.
SEATING: This is a BYOC (bring your own chair event). Seating is first-come, first-served.
FREE RESERVATIONS: Free reservations can be made through completing an online form at bit.ly/c2c-jomo-jammin. Completion is not required for admission; however, it is appreciated in helping C2C plan accordingly.
COVID-19 SAFETY: All in attendance are asked to be mindful of current CDC guidance regarding COVID-19. Individuals are welcome to wear masks who have not yet been vaccinated or who otherwise desire. Social distancing between parties is strongly encouraged.
QUESTIONS: Call (417) 501-5550 or email email@example.com.
This event is made possible by Freeman Health System, as well as the Missouri Arts Council, Harry M. Cornell, Jr., Dr. Lance & Sharon Beshore, Dr. Michael & Jeri Lynn Joseph, and others.
Free Online Reservations: https://bit.ly/c2c-jomo-jammin
C2C Event Webpage: http://connect2culture.org/performances/jomo-jammin-2021/
Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/842327676368631