Students in front of Washington School in Oronogo circa 1905.

 

Old News

From the 3rd floor of the Webb City Public Library

Oronogo’s short-lived Washington School

Webb City Area Genealogical Society

These two photos found in the Webb City Historical Society archives are identified as being taken in front of the Washington School in Oronogo. 

Comparing them to other Washington School photos makes the identification convincing.

Oronogo’s Washington School was built in 1891-1892 near the corner of Mineral and Elliott Streets (one block south of Central Street and four streets west of Second Street). Three lots were set aside for the school in Elliott’s Addition, located on the west side of town.

By 1898, high school classes were established and the first class to graduate was in 1904. Washington School closed in the early 1920s. There are apparently no remnants.

The back of one photo is written Emma Alexander.  According to the 1900 census, there was an Emma Alexander living in Oronogo, age 7. She was the daughter of Charles M. and Anna Belle Alexander.  Charles was an Oronogo grocer.

Emma went on to marry Alvin Sutton.  They are both buried in the Oronogo Cemetery.

 

Sentinel bound volumes are now in the Genealogy Room

The WCAGS has accepted ownership of the complete collection of bound volumes of the Webb City Sentinel, from 1983 (after the fire) until the final issue on Dec. 30, 2020.

Those issues can also be viewed on microfilm, along with much older issues.

Webb City Area Genealogical Society

WCAGS members staff the Genealogy Room on the third floor of the Webb City Public Library. Current hours are noon to 4 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. Meetings are held at 6 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month in the Geadalogy Room.

Everything you want to know about Jasper County Missouri Schools is available at a site compiled by Webb City Area Genealogical Society member Kathy Sidenstricker.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
X