Lakeside Park patrons on the 4th of July in 1918.
Webb City Area Genealogical Society
Lakeside Park on Center Creek was a favorite place to celebrate the 4th of July, as it was for the family above in 1918. The color photograph is how it may have looked that year.
Unfortunately, the fun could be dampened by large amounts of rain, just as we have received this year.
The 1901 photo above shows the original streetcar bridge with floodwaters reaching the bottom supports of the bridge. Note the two men walking on the bridge to the left. This bridge would later be replaced by a concrete bridge, part of which still remains over Center Creek to this day. The wood ramp approach to the bridge can also be seen in the color postcard through the trees on the right.
The grounds on the east side of the river are flooded in the photo at right. On the back it reads, “High water at Lakeside, across from the boat house, the little building is the gum club house, wheat floating down, 1901.” (Both flood pictures were contributed by Jim Horn.)
A couple on a Center Creek float trip in May 2006 took this picture of the concrete streetcar bridge that was built to replace the wooden bridge above that was flooded.
The WCAGS has accepted ownership of the complete collection of bound volumes of the Webb City Sentinel, from 1983 (after the fire) until the final issue on Dec. 30, 2020.
Those issues can also be viewed on microfilm, along with much older issues.
WCAGS members staff the Genealogy Room on the third floor of the Webb City Public Library. Current hours are noon to 4 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. Meetings are held at 6 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month in the Geadalogy Room.
Everything you want to know about Jasper County Missouri Schools is available at a site compiled by Webb City Area Genealogical Society member Kathy Sidenstricker.