he Tower of Light School, located 1 1/2 miles southwest of Purcell, was established in the mid 1800s.
The original building was used until the 1920s when it was replaced by a new structure in 1921.
The Tower of Light School merged with the Oronogo School District in 1951.
The building ceased being used as a school and was purchased for use as a church in 1952. It was damaged by a tornado in May 2003 and was torn down in May 2005.
Students with their teacher, Ellen Oertle, during the 1936-37 school year were:
(FRONT) Sammy Plank, unknown, C. B. Roberts, Alfred Shreves, unknown, Bill Mass, Junior Forste, Benny Forsyth, David Riggs.
(MIDDLE) Sibil McCall, Bob Mass, Leroy Nelson, ? McCall, Frances Bell, Jessie Gillard, Loyd Burkey, Lois Jones, Ruthie Jean Shreve.
(BACK) Howard Wheat, Teddy Forsyth, Edwin Bell, teacher Ellen Oertle, Margaret Burkey, Madeline Gillard, Faye Gillard, Nancy Hulsey, Junior Baltzell and Jim Silvey.
This was the Tower of Light School building after it was damaged by a tornado in 2003.