This stereoscopic (double) set of photos is of the Sucker Flat mining fields, taken in 1877. Sucker Flat, of course, was where King Jack Park is now.
of the Webb City Public Library
Sucker Flat mining fields were among the first in Webb City
The Sucker Flat mining fields were some of the earliest in the Webb City area as the accompanying 1877 stereoscopic view can attest.
A stereoscopic image created the illusion of depth by showing two slightly offset images separately to each eye of the viewer. A specialized device was used to view the dual images printed on a card.
This early dual view of the Sucker Flat mine fields was taken by Webb City photographers B. F. Pancoast & Co. They made photographic portraits, landscapes and stereoscopic views, noting that baby pictures were their specialty.
The Sucker Flat mines were located in the current location of King Jack Park.
In 1967, Webb City purchased approximately 154 acres from Mrs. Blanche Evans, widow of mine operator Fred “Mike” Evans, for use as a city park. A contest was held to name the new park. Mrs. Jone Poyner’s entry, King Jack Park, was the winner. She received a $25 savings bond.